(Filed under mobility scooters, mobility scooter, electric wheelchair, electric wheelchairs )
Whether it is through age, disease, or accident many people will require at some point in their Life the need for mobility products and mobility aids to be able to get around in this World! For some it may be just a temporary hurdle, while for others it could be a permanent situation. In either case, its very crucial in deciding on what type of device that you choose!
(Article Tags Include mobility scooters, mobility scooter, electric wheelchair, electric wheelchairs )
The traditional decision is to go with wheelchairs. Wheelchairs can come as Manuel products which the user moves thru wheel rims or a lever. Or there is also electric wheelchairs which are powered by rechargeable batteries.
The second kind of similar mobility device is mobility scooters. These look like what you would call a scooter but function like a wheelchair. They come in two forms, a Class 2 on-road type and a Class 2 on-pavement type.
So how do you find out which of these mobility aids is the right one for you?
Well you need to ask these 5 questions…
1. Is there the possibility you will need to stay in your device for long periods of the day? If you find this true then the wheelchair is the one for you because it offers the best support for the head, neck, feet and torso..
2. Do you have the overall strength to power the device? If you don’t you will need an electric wheelchair or mobility scooter!
3. Are you able to sit upright easily on your own? The scooter’s tiller steering mechanism demands unsupported upright posture. It also needs some strength in the shoulder and hands as well as the upper-body. If you can’t sit upright easily then a wheelchair device might better suit you! !.
(Tags Include mobility scooters, mobility scooter, electric wheelchair, electric wheelchairs )
4. What is the type of terrain that you will need to traverse over? Mobility Scooters may have difficulty covering some kinds of surfaces. Whereas electric wheelchairs and manual wheelchairs could be of better use in certain circumstances.
5. Finally, is there a possibility you will be traveling a lot via air or train? Mobility Scooters are lighter but wheelchairs can fold up pretty conveniently!
Hope this helps in making your decision a little easier! Disabled people really need to take a hard look at this important issue concerning mobility products and mobility aids! ! And be sure to ask these specific questions before a purchase is made!